Краткий исторический экскурс с сайта замка и городка Скарперия.
At the beginning of the 14th century the Florentine Republic decided, in order to better control these routes, to build two new fortified towns, at that time called 'New Lands' [Terre Nuove]: the first was Scarperia, in the 'Mugello' and the second Firenzuola (Little Florence), on the opposite side of the Apennines mountain. The Mugello was, since the High Middle Ages, a fief of the Ubaldini family. The Florentine Republic had to destroy one of their strongholds, the castle of Montaccianico, before beginning in 1306 the construction of a castle on the place called 'the Scarperia'. The new fortification was called 'Saint Barnaba Castle' but soon became known with the ancient name of the place. Its main role was to prevent a rebirth of the Ubaldini family's ambitions of power. Also the other feudal castles of the zone - Ascianello, Lago, Lomena and Cerliano - were shaved to the ground.The planning of this 'New Land' was entrusted to the great architect Andrea Pisano, at the time engaged also in the works at the Florence's Cathedral. It seems he took part only in the building of the Palace-Fortress, seat of the Vicarious. The castle became the most important of the north-east Tuscany, and Florence allowed Scarperia to use the coat-of-arms with the lily. The Bolongnese road divided Scarperia in half, and still today forms the main axis of the town. Scarperia has an irregular shape, similar to a rectangle, encircled by walls, equipped with Guelphs battlements and square flanking towers.